Brushing Up On Your Grammar and Punctuation
This course maps to capability:
Prices include GST and are subject to change
Although executive writing does not need to be contrived or complicated, it does need to be clear, concise and correct.
Using good grammar and the appropriate punctuation is vital in our writing. Faulty grammar makes the writer and, by inference, his or her organisation, appear unintelligent, uninformed and careless. Although we know that good grammar and punctuation are essential, many people whose job entails writing feel unsure about the rules. This may be especially true of people whose first language in not English. This interactive, full day workshop covers the basics of both grammar and punctuation in a manner that enables everyone participating to come away with a much better understanding and working knowledge of the essentials. Participants will also take away a 40-page workbook which acts as a memory jogger for all the essentials covered throughout the day.
1. Grammar Basics
- The parts of a sentence
- The propositional content of sentences
- Elements of the sentence
- Sentence structure
- Verbs as the powerhouse of the sentence
- Getting subjects and verbs to agree
- The clause as the basic unit of the sentence
- Joining clauses and phrases
‘Punctuation is mainly about the correct way to join dependent and independent clauses and phrases’.
- Full stop
3. Sorting out some ‘common confusables’ in the English language
By the end of this course attendees should be able to:
- Self-edit your writing and identify and correct grammar and punctuation errors
- Be more self-assured in your employment of good grammar and correct punctuation, leading to less editing and rewriting by senior management
- Write with clarity and precision, leading to quicker understanding and less re-reading by readers.
Benefits to your organisation
- documents will be more succinct and technically accurate, reflecting well on writers and their departments
- productivity is enhanced as the time spent by managers editing and correcting errors will be greatly reduced
- a consistently professional image is maintained in all written material.
Benefits to you
- your grasp of good grammar and punctuation is a transportable skill, available to you in everything you write
- your ability to write well and succinctly is improved
- your self-confidence in your writing ability is greatly enhanced.