Conflict has the potential to derail even the most productive teams if not managed effectively. However, as organisations are in effect “human systems”, conflict is to be expected and is a natural part of all organisations and workplaces. Conflict can also be extremely beneficial to organisations as it challenges the status quo and allows people to question why and how things are done. This can lead to both personal and professional growth.
Resolving conflict effectively is an essential skill for all leaders and managers – it can be the difference between a positive or negative outcome. Yet many managers avoid conflict or struggle to progress conflict to an effective resolution, leaving parties frustrated, disengaged, confused or bitter.
This workshop will explore various conflict resolution strategies and look at what personal skills are necessary to develop effective conflict resolution techniques. You will also reflect on your own conflict management style and consider how this might influence you in challenging situations.
- The conflict curve
- The five conflict management styles and strategies
- Transactional analysis framework
- The importance of emotional intelligence – particularly self-awareness and self-management
- Emotional defusing strategies
- Cognitive defusing strategies
- Behavioural defusing strategies.
By the end of this course attendees will be able to:
- confidently and proactively approach and resolve conflict in the workplace.
- understand their own conflict management preferences and how this might influence their approach to conflict management.
- understand and manage interpersonal dynamics associated with conflict.
- possess a toolbox of strategies for conflict management, rapidly developing team capability, and team effectiveness.
Benefits to your organisation
- Confidently work through tension and effectively manage conflict within the team.
- Manage the numerous negative impacts of conflict.
- Leverage the benefits of diversity and diverse perspectives in the team.
- Improve creativity, decision making and problem solving.
Benefits to you
- You will be equipped with the knowledge and skills to effectively maximise the performance of your team members.
- You will be able to draw out and harness diverse thinking and perspectives thereby improving creativity, decision making and problem solving.
- You will develop an understanding of strategies for effective conflict management and approach conflict with confidence and poise.